11.26.2008

Up, up and away!

I really want to share this, but need to do so without names/identifying details. It will either go well or flatly. We'll see. Read with the understanding that it's always better when you're actually there (re: had to be there)...this was just so funny...and so...honest.

True story.


I had a lovely dinner with 4 friends of varying ages at a local italian restaurant last week. As you'd expect we laughed and talked about everything...pets, work, football, food, men, sex, etc... One of my friends shared that she (as a fan of an opposing SEC school) just recently learned the meaning of "Roll Tide" from an Alabama fan she knows. Whist concealing my disappointment and embarrassment for my fellow Bama fan (though really...we may need to revoke his/her membership), I shared with her the true meaning of Roll Tide...and the conversation moved on. The friend sitting across from me...shared that she had also recently learned something new... She had just learned what the "Mile High Club" was (apparently it's a proper noun...I'm capitalizing). We laughed for a moment with her as she shared her [recent] processing of the term... The friend to the left of me chimed in, and shared that the topic (Mile High Club) had come up in a joke amongst friends at a conference [also recently]...and then asked the friend across from me [almost hopefully]... "Well, have you ever been in a hot-air balloon? I just can't imagine... I mean...you'd be so close to the driver."


Everyone fell silent. I think my bread slipped to my plate...with my fingers still in bread-holding position.

I consciously turned my head completely to the left to face her.

...What the hell are you talking about?!

...hot air balloons...

...the Mile High Club is...it's about airplanes...

...no, well then it's hot air balloons too...

...no, hot air balloons don't even go one mile high...and even still there's a basket, and just...airplanes!...

...beautiful friend...with an intensely red face...

It was absolutely one of the best laughs I've had in a long time and a fantastic story that may not deliver well in text. We'll see. It brought us GREAT joy...and I wanted to at least take a crack at sharing it. ...Sex in a hot air balloon. That deserves it's own name, or at least it's own branch of the Mile High Club.

3 comments:

elisa said...

Probably isn't, but it sounds like Tiff! :) This is HILARIOUS!!!

Amanda said...

Yay! Glad it's funny in print. Not Tiff, you don't know the friend. I wish you did...it's was such a fun laugh.

Unknown said...

I'm sitting here laughing again about this. I think I still hurt from the pain of laughter. OMG that was so much fun. I guess I'll never look at a hot air balloon again the same way...